We’re getting back in the swing of things, just in time for summer! This party will reflect a return to summer socializing–and we’re going to celebrate by bringing the tasting series back to bourbon, baby! Bourbons are my favorite whiskeys, and I know I’m not alone. We’re also going to celebrate the return to summer socializing with three bonuses for this tasting event: 1) summer bourbon cocktails, 2) pizzas cooked in an outdoor stone oven, and 3) a pool! (No drunk drowning, by request of the hosts.)
IMPORTANT: While we are all looking forward to socializing more, we should all be careful not to put anyone at risk. Please do not attend if you are not feeling well, and I would greatly appreciate it if you take a rapid Covid test before attending if you can, vaxed or not.
Our whiskey (and other spirits) tasting events are open to friends and their friends, but knowing approximate attendance will help me provide the best tasting experience. So, please RSVP below.
When & Where
Time & Date: 6PM on Saturday, July 16, 2022. Note the early start time–but pizza will be provided!
Location: The home of Suzette & Cole Hendrick in River Place. The address will not be posted but will be shared with all RSVPs.
Let me know if you will attend by commenting below (with # attending) so that we can plan appropriately, i.e. provide enough pizza! (Note: comments from first-time RSVPers won’t appear immediately on the page until I get a chance to approve them since bots have discovered my site… but I’ll be quick.) If you can’t figure out how to RSVP…
For this event, we are going to revisit bourbons, the great American whiskey spirits that have boomed in popularity in recent years. I will bring several excellent bourbons, and as always guests are encouraged to add to the tasting palette by bringing something–as long as they take it home with them! (No spirits left behind!). If you decide to bring something, share it in the comments so I can update the tasting list for everyone to see as the event approaches.
Tasting Events “Rules”
The “rules” have been established and refined over 25 previous whiskey (and “alt-whiskey”) events, for maximum enjoyment.
- Several different bourbons will be provided that cover a range of taste profiles for comparison. As always, if you wish to bring a bottle to expand our comparison set and share with friends, please do (not required!)–but if you do then you must take your bottle home with you to enjoy on your own later! (There will be labels and a list.)
- All bourbons provided by the hosts and being shared by guests will be posted below as we learn about them (let me know in the comments).
- You do not have to love bourbon (yet) to join us and have fun–just be willing to taste and learn a little. Some wine and beer will also be provided, but feel free to bring anything you want if you’re not (yet) into bourbon but still want to join the fun.
- There will be plenty of snacks
but you should eat a full dinner beforehand if you’re serious about tasting many bourbonsand this time, there will be fresh hot pizzas for everyone!
- Parking: There is some street parking in the neighborhood. However, because it’s a spirits tasting event and we often end up with 20ish spirits (along with limited parking), we strongly recommend that you carpool and appoint a designated driver or use a rideshare so you can really focus on the tasting. Nobody drives home intoxicated!
The initial list will be posted by July 2. It will updated it as I learn of other contributions to the tasting via the RSVP comments.
- Bardstown Fuction Series Bourbon, 98.1 proof, Kentucky – Vic & Julie
- Blade & Bow Bourbon, 91 proof, Kentucky – James Allen
- Breckenridge Bourbon Port Cask Finished, 90 proof, Colorado – Suzette & Cole
- Breckenridge Bourbon, Madeira Cask Finished, 92 proof, Colorado – Suzette & Cole
- Buffalo Trace Bourbon, 90 proof, Kentucky – Judy Tierney
- Brush Creek Ranch Bourbon, Wyoming – Joe & Cheryl Sekel
- Eagle Rare Bourbon, 90 proof, Kentucky – Jay Boisseau
- Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, 123.6 proof, Kentucky – Jay Boisseau
- Four Roses Single Barrel, 100 proof, Kentucky – Jay Boisseau
- Goodwood Bourbon, Tout Barrel Finish, 90 proof, Kentucky – Vic & July
- Herman Marshall Bourbon, Texas
- Ironfoot Promothean Bourbon, 103 proof, Denison Texas – Jay
- Jos. A. Magnus, 100 proof, Michigan – Suzette & Cole
- Longbranch, 86 proof, Kentucky – Steve Krant
- Milam & Greene Single Barrel, Texas – Margaret & John
- Old Forrester 1920 Bourbon, 115 proof, Kentucky – Craig Warthen
- Pinhook Bourbon – Suzette & Cole
- Smoke Wagon Small Batch, 100 proof, Las Vegas, NV – Patrick McGarry
- Still Austin, 98.4 proof, Texas – Jay Boisseau
- Still Austin Cask Strength Bourbon, 118 proof, Kentucky – Bill & Leti
- Very Old Barton, 86 proof, Kentucky – Jay Boisseau
- Weller Special Reserve, 90 proof, Kentucky – Reid Wilson
- Willet Bourbon, 94 proof, Kentucky, – Drew Proctor
- Wolcott Bottled in Bond, 100 proof, Kentucky – Elizabeth & Raed
- Woodford Reserve Distiller Select, 90.4 proof, Kentucky – Andy Boisseau
- Bourbon bramble – Suzette & Cole
- Old Fashioneds – German & Diana
- Chocolate bourbon milkshakes – Erik & Janeane
Remember: All bottles brought by guests must be taken home to continue enjoying after the event! We do not do this to collect spirits, only to taste lots of things, share, and have fun!
34 thoughts on “Back to Bourbon, Baby!”
I’ll be coming +1 and bringing smoke wagon for sharing.
See you there
Bourbon and stone oven pizzas?? IN!
Reid +7; bourbon TBD
I’ll be bringing Weller Special Reserve Bourbon. Will post if I find out what others plan to bring.
Fun – Scott and I are a yes
I’m in, thanks!
Thanks, I’m in!
We’re obviously in and planning to have Joseph Magnus, Pinhook and a bourbon blackberry smash cocktail
sounds dreamy.janeane and erik are in – not sure what we’re bringing yet but will report back !
In +1 (Adria)
I’m in +1 and will bring a bottle TBD. I will post once I get it.
John Bowman single Barrel, Virginia
Yes, please and thank you! I am in! (consulting with my bourbon dealer, Jay, to decide what to bring)
See you there!
+0. Dang, out of town next weekend. Y’all have fun!
+1 (John) — will be bringing a Milam & Greene single barrel
In +1 Vanessa
Debra and I are in – lookiing forward.
Eric and Annette will be there.
Hey Eric — will be great to catch up 🙂
Joe and Cheryl will be there. We will bring a Brush Creek Ranch Bourbon to commemorate an outstanding stay we had there this past Spring break.
Díana and I will be there for sure (overdue!)
I am a maaaaaybe? Happy to bring bourbon or some kind of side dish.
I won’t be able to make it. But keen on going to the next one. Thank jay
I plan to bring John Bowman Single Barrel, Virginia.
I’ll be there!
Sorry for the late response m. Leti and I would love to attend me.
Elizabeth and I plan to attend.
We are bringing Wolcott bottled-in-Bond.
i’ll be there, bourbon TBD…
I’ll be there + 1.
Julie and I will be there. Eventually.