The next whiskey tasting will celebrating Irish whiskey, on Saturday, May 19. We have two co-hosts for this special event. Joining me will be Adrian Farrell, the Irish Consul General for Austin, who will open his home and his whiskeys to us, and Anthony Dina, a certified whiskey sommelier (level 3!), who will share his expertise in how to taste whiskey. Together, we will provide several different types of Irish whiskey (see below), and will share some of the basics about whiskeys in general, and Irish whiskeys in particular. A few key facts to start your education and stoke your interest:
- The word whiskey comes from the first word in the Irish Gaelic phrase uisce beatha, which means water of life.
- The Irish may be the inventors of whiskey–Adrian says it’s definitely true
- The first legal distiller in the world was Bushmills in 1608.
- Irish was once the most popular whiskey in the world. It’s growing again, with distilleries all around the Emerald Isle.
When & Where
When: 8PM Saturday May 19
Where: At 360 Condominiums, Unit 3111 – the home of Adrian Farrell
How to get in: go to the 3rd St entrance (near Nueces St, just past Trifecta), and say to the concierge, with an Irish accent or Irish names, why you’re here. The concierge will give you a code to use the elevator to get to the 31st floor.
- As always, several bottles will be provided that cover a range of whiskeys for comparison. The specific whiskeys will be posted below soon.
- As always, if you wish to bring a bottle to expand our comparison set and share with others, please do (not required!)–but if you do then you must take it home with you to enjoy on your own later!
- You do not have to love Irish whiskey (yet) to join us and have fun–just be willing to taste and learn a little. We’ll provide some wine and beer, but feel free to bring your favorite beer/wine if you’re not really into Irish whiskey.
- There will be some snacks, but you should eat a full dinner first if you’re serious about tasting and learning.
- Parking is available on the streets (metered) and in the building’s parking garage (pay) and the adjacent State parking garage. However, we recommend Lyft/RideAustin so you can really focus on the tasting. Nobody drives intoxicated–we’ll get you a ride or a pillow need be!
We hope to see you on May 19, and we ask that you RSVP by commenting below (with # attending) so that we can give a list to the concierge (for access to 31st floor), plan appropriately, etc. If you decide to bring a bottle, please also share it in the comments below so other people know what not to bring.
Irish Whiskey list so far:
- Barr an Uisce – Tyler MacMarkham
- Bushmills – Jared O’Carl
- Dunville’s 10 year – Bill & Lisa FitzMagro
- Green Pot single pot still – John & Sherry MacHarrison
- Greenore (8 year) – Adrian Farrell
- Jameson Cooper’s Croze – Adrian Farrell
- Kilbeggan – Jay MacBoisseau
- Knappogue Castle Single Malt 12 year – Jay MacBoisseau
- Paddy’s – Adrian Farrell
- Redbreast Lustau – Adrian Farrell
- Red Breast 12 year – Christopher O’Calicott
- Sexton Single Malt – Mickey MacArmi & Shannon O’Smith
- Teeling Single Malt – Anthony FitzDina
- Tullamore Dew – Liza & Jason MacCheng
- Tullamore Dew Special Reserve 12 year – Jay MacBoisseau