The whiskey tasting for February 2019 is dedicated to rye whiskey! Rye whiskey is generally a little spicier than others, and will be a good tasting experience for a cold winter night. Come learn about rye whiskey with us!
We also have two special treats for this next whiskey tasting event:
- It will be hosted by the wonderful Robin Johnston in party-optimized unit at 360 Condominiums
- A few whiskey experts will be in attendance to share their expertise and advice
So come join us to learn a little, taste a lot (whiskey list below), and enjoy a wonderful evening with great people. It’s open to all of our friends, but you must RSVP for this (via the comments section below) to help us plan and to ensure the concierge lets you in!
When & Where
Time & Date: 8PM on Saturday, February 23, 2019
Location: 360 Condominiums, in the home of Robin Johnston
- As always, several different whiskeys will be provided that cover a range of taste profiles for comparison.
- As always, if you wish to bring a bottle to expand our comparison set and share with others, please do (not required!)–but if you do then you must take it home with you to enjoy on your own later!
- Rye whiskeys provided by the hosts are posted below, along with whiskeys being shared by guests as we learn about them.
- You do not have to love rye whiskey (yet) to join us and have fun–just be willing to taste and learn a little. We’ll provide some wine and beer, but feel free to bring your favorite beer/wine if you’re not into whiskey.
- There will be some snacks, but you should eat a full dinner first if you’re serious about tasting and learning.
- Street parking is available in the neighborhood. However, we recommend Lyft/Uber/RideAustin so you can really focus on the tasting. Nobody drives home intoxicated.
- The concierge will let you into the building and up to Robin Johnston’s condo.
We hope to see you on February 23, and we ask that you RSVP by commenting below (with # attending) so that we can plan appropriately. Two things:
- Comments won’t appear until I get a chance to approve them, since the number of bots out there is astounding…
- If you decide to bring a rye whiskey, please also share it in the comments below so other people know what not to bring.
Rye Whiskey list (as of Feb 23 @ 8:12 p.m.)
I will update it continuously as more are announced. The initial list includes
- A. D. Law’s Special Straight Rye – Jay Boisseau
- Angel’s Envy Finished Rye – Jay Boisseau
- Balcones Texas Rye – Andy Boisseau
- Col. E. H. Taylor Straight Rye – Jay Boisseau
- Dad’s Hat Pennsylvania Rye – Philipp Detscher
- Dad’s Hat Pennsylvania Straight Rye – Philipp Detscher
- Kentucky Owl 11-Year Straight Rye – John & Sherry Harrison
- Kooper Family Rye – Jay Boisseau
- Old Forester Rye – Scott Ducker
- Peerless Barrel Proof Kentucky Straight Rye – Christopher Calicott
- Rough Rider Bull Moose Rye – Aaron Buckholtz
- Sazerac Rye – Carlos Donoso
- Sonoma County Distilling Cherrywood Rye – Steve White
- Whistlepig Rye – Reid Wilson
- Willett Straight Rye – Jay Boisseau
Remember: all whiskey bottles must be taken home to continue enjoying after the event!
*whisk(e)y is generally spelled without the ‘e’ by the Scots, while the Irish and most others usually include the ‘e.’ So bourbon and rye are usually ‘whiskey,’ but the Japanese admired and copied the Scotch style (and bought some of the Scotch distilleries!), so often use the Scottish spelling (no ‘e’). There is no strict rule on the spelling of whiskey, unlike the rules for making them!
43 thoughts on “Rye Whiskey Tasting”
I’m in +1. Rye to be determined.
Thanks for setting this up! I’ll be there with bells on 🙂
In for 2. Sounds great!
Actually 3 total.
I’m in. 🥃
#attending (Colin is out of town, but I may bring a friend – will update soon)
I’ll be there
Wild Turkey Rye 81?
I’m just kidding, I got a bottle of Whistle Pig. Also probably bringing a buddy.
Me +1 please
Have fun! I’ll be thinking of you all while endlessly wireframing
Whiskey helps with wireframing.
Chelsea + Scott Collier (and we’re bringing 3 maybe 4 friends… they’re cool cats…)
Yes! Looking forward to seeing you!!!
Chelsea & Scott Collier + 4 (we travel in a pack…)
Sherry and I are looking forward to it! We’ll have a +1. Rye TBD.
Chris and I are looking forward to it. Thanks for the invite!
I’m bringing Peerless Barrel Proof Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey.
Aaron Buckholtz and Sherry & I are bringing a Kentucky Owl-11 and a Rough Rider Bull Moose Rye. Looking forward to it!
Can I add 1 more for a total of 4.
Suzette, Cole, Jason, Kim
Still time to join the party? If so, count us (is) in…
I meant count us (2) in
Jay- looking forward to attending with some Irish whiskey.
If you can find an Irish RYE, great. 🙂
yes+4. I’ll bring food and other alcohol.
Please RSVP Steve White
Jay you’re bringing all the good stuff! I gotta dig deep now…
Count me in for a Sonoma County Distilling Cherrywood Rye.
I’ll be there
Plus one… not sure about bringing a whiskey or dessert….
I’ll be there with a bottle of Balcones Texas Rye
+1 I’ll be there.
Scratch that! I’ll have a +1, but we’ll be coming separately. Please add Alora Chistiakoff to the guest list.
Yes – Rye TBD
In – me and two guests. Thanks for the invite!
Christine and I are looking forward to breaking the seal!
Yes + a friend!