Welcome back, wonderful friends and whiskey fans! After such an outstanding whiskey tasting event that was also an awesome party with bands in September 2019, we’re getting back to our roots: a smaller affair, whiskey-centered, and even focused on an original American whiskey. Rye whiskey just may be the whiskey version of the Hero’s Journey, with a rise, a fall from grace, and recently a redemption–and rising again.
Whiskey tasting events are open to all friends and their friends, but knowing approximate attendance will help me provide the best tasting experience. So, please RSVP (see below).
When & Where
Time & Date: 8PM on Saturday, February 15, 2020.
Location: Chez Boisseau (Unit 3005) @ 360 Condominiums (main entrance on 3rd St. near Nueces St.). The concierge at the front desk will give you an elevator code to reach the 30th floor.
Let me know if you’re coming by commenting below (with # attending) so that we can plan appropriately. (Note: comments won’t appear immediately on the page until I get a chance to approve them since bots have discovered my site… but I’ll be quick.)
All rye whiskeys this time. List is provided below.
Whiskey Tasting Events “Rules”
The “rules” have been established and refined over 21 previous whiskey (and “alt-whiskey”) events, for maximum whiskey enjoyment.
- Several different whiskeys will be provided that cover a range of taste profiles for comparison. I’ll post those below by February 4. As always, if you wish to bring a bottle to expand our comparison set and share with friends, please do (not required!)–but if you do then you must take your bottle home with you to enjoy on your own later! (There will be labels and a list.) All whiskeys provided by the hosts and being shared by guests will be posted below as we learn about them (let me know in the comments).
- You do not have to love whiskey (yet) to join us and have fun–just be willing to taste and learn a little. Some wine and beer wil also be provided, but feel free to bring anything you want if you’re not (yet) into whiskey but still want to join the fun.
- There will be plenty of snacks (and probably Girl Scout cookies), but you should eat a full dinner beforehand if you’re serious about tasting many whiskeys.
- Parking: Street parking in downtown is limited, but there are many nearby parking garages. However, because it’s a whiskey tasting and we often end up with 20ish whiskeys, we strongly recommend that you consider using a rideshare so you can really focus on the tasting. Nobody drives home intoxicated!
The initial whiskey list is below. If you plan to bring something to share & compare, let me know and I’ll add to the list!
- AD Laws Secale Rye Cask Strength – Steve White
- Angel’s Envy Finished Rye – Jay Boisseau
- Balcones Distillery Cask Strength Rye ‘17 and/or ‘18 – Steve White
- Basil Hayden Dark Rye – Colin Eddy
- Ben Milam Rye – Patrick Stewart
- Black Maple Hill Oregon Straight Rye – Reid Wilson
- Grist & Saw Empire Rye – Velvet Campbell
- High West Boureye (rye and bourbon hybrid) – Jay Boisseau
- Highwire Abruzi Rye – Jay Boisseau
- Kooper Family Rye – Jay Boisseau
- Leopold Brother’s Maryland Style Rye – Jay Boisseau
- Michter’s Rye – David Nguyen
- Old Potrero 18th Century Style Rye – Lenny & Clara
- Pinhook Rye – John & Sherry Harrison
- Rittenhouse Rye – Melissa & Brad
- Russell’s Reserve Rye – Jay Boisseau
- Seven Grand Koval Rye Single Barrel – Steve White
- Whistlepig Rye (10 years) –
- Whistlepig Farmhouse Rye – Mathew Yarger
Remember: All whiskey bottles brought by guests must be taken home to continue enjoying after the event! There will be labels for bottles.
39 thoughts on “Rye Whiskey: An American Original Rises Again”
I’m in! Rye TBD…awaiting consultant feedback.
Black Maple Hill Oregon Straight Rye Whiskey
Me +1 Rye TBD
Cole and I will be there! TBD on the bottle we’ll bring
I’m in! And I’m dragging Reese with me. 🙂
Sherry and I are looking forward to it! Rye TBD.
Thanks David, but whistle P9g is already covered–see the list 🙂
Michter’s Rye for me.
I’ll be there for the GS cookies. Remember Lemonades and PB chocolate
I think you should bring the cookies since you are god-mother to a cookie dealer!
I’m in! Rye TBD
In +1 ! Will bake something with a girl scout cookie flair to go with the whiskey 😉
I’m in also! Am glad to bring a Rye; open to recommendations. Always glad to support the Girl Scouts!
Brad and I will be there with bells on (well, with rye in hand) He’s had several trips to KY lately so we should have something fun to bring!
Erik + Janeane are IN!
Hi jay We can’t make it tonight. Drink a lot for us, thanks for the invite!
I’ll be there, rye to be determined.
Chris and I will plan on being there!
Me +1 and a rye (TBD).
Cassie and I are in! We’ll be bringing either a Balcones Rye or Basil Hayden Dark Rye.
I think they’re both covered, Mat!
I will be there, plus one… Still to determine which Rye to bring…
I will be there with 2 more
I will be there. TBD on rye.
Grabbed a Basil Hayden’s Dark Rye
I’m in. Thanks!
In like flint.
I have some Distillery Only Balcones Cask Strength Rye ‘17 and/or ‘18 to bring, Seven Grand Koval Rye Single Barrel, and AD Laws Secale Rye Cask Strength. Objections?
I’ll be there (I’m Patrick’s friend) with my wife Clara. We’ll have Old Potrero 18th Century Style with us!
I’m in – Rye TBD
The whiskey list is being updated now in real-time (kinda)! If you plan to bring/share a rye whiskey, please post in the comments and I’ll update the list for others to see (and thus avoid bringing duplicates).
I’m in. I will have a part-timer +1 later on in the evening.
Yea!!! See you!
Grist & Saw Empire Rye
Ben Milam rye.
I’ve got a bottle of Milam and Greene Port Finish.